Thursday, May 15, 2014

Roach

Sitting in the same stupid chair at the same wooden desk, I thought I was done.

Nothing but air and words that formed nothing.

So I moved the chair outside. I walked.

It's hot out, and that brings the roaches. As I passed a deli I noticed a small grouping of them nestled in the cracks of the cement sidewalk.

I stood for minutes (hours) and watched the roaches on the sidewalk.

I found a roach that was completely still. That's the one. I'll watch and wait for some instinct to command him to move. And when he moves, so will I.

I put my hands in my pocket to stifle the temptation to prod him.

He was still.

I crouched down and cheated. I blew air on him.

He was still.

I tapped my foot.

He was still.

I turned and walked away. For all I know that roach is still there.

I'm not.

No comments:

Post a Comment